Building Arduino Sprinter from source

Ok It’s been a few month’s since I’ve been blogging and I’ve been sort of busy.   I mothballed the Sherline retrofit for a while(and I’m doing some serious rethinking on this project).    I had wanted to build a 3d printer for E-week and I cleared the deck for a couple of months to do that.   I got really close to getting it done, but I missed my deadline.   Have a compressed deadline, made me move the project along nicely, but I wasn’t really done at lowest cost… Most of the components are machined out of aluminum and I think I did more machining in 3 months than I’ve done in the last couple years, so that was a bunch of fun.  I’m am so tantalizing close to having this project done.

At this point, I need install sprinter so I can move the x axis carriage in the z-axis direction so I can tram in my lead screws.
So.. I’m running 12.04, installed the Arduino IDE from the ubuntu repository which is Arduino 1.0

I had purchased my ramps kit assembled from here: https://ultimachine.com/ramps-pre-assembled-kit-complete  and I was able to get the axis to move with the test program.

Normally I document this stuff, pretty well, but as I said I was in a big hurry.   So I found a generic test program from this page. http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS1.4
and is located here: http://reprap.org/wiki/File:RAMPS14_test.zip.
That all worked well, and it was cool to see everything working well.

For my CAM software http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRap_Options#CAM_Tools I went with http://reprap.org/wiki/Repetier-Host.   This was one of the smoothest installs I’ve experienced.  The software seems to be working ok, but I won’t now for sure until  I get the firmware issues worked out with my Arduino Mega.

Looking at this http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS1.4  I found this to be of interest:

You will need the Arduino software at http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software to upload the firmware to Arduino Mega. Arduino MEGA 2560 Rev3 requires Arduino software version 0023.

Sprinter and Marlin are popular and stable firmwares for RAMPS as of 3/28/2012. Pronterface is a cross platform printer control program that can be used for testing/printing.

Working preconfigured sprinter firmware can be downloaded at http://ultimachine.com/sites/default/files/UltiMachineRAMPS1-4Sprinter.zip . Mechanical is in the folder ending with ME, optical endstop firmware is in the folder ending in OE.

Others (Need pins set in Firmware as below):

So first thing I tried was to download http://ultimachine.com/sites/default/files/UltiMachineRAMPS1-4Sprinter.zip . unzips and wanted to use the OE option. So I fire up the Arudino IDE double click on the sprinter.pde in the optical end stop folder and try building and I get this error.

SdFile.cpp:22:22: fatal error: WProgram.h: No such file or directorycompilation terminated.

Doing a little googling I come up with this. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8868554/trouble-installing-arduino-on-netbeans-in-ubuntu-11 So apparently the issue is that the preconfigured file is meant to be used with something other that 1.0
So I suppose I at least three paths I could to go down:

  1.   I could down grade to a lower level arudino IDE.
  2. Making the updates to Code as suggested by the stack over flow link.
  3. Download latest version from source and rebuild.

I tried 2 & 3 and I experienced some issues.
Option 1) goes against the grain, my first inclination is to get this to run on the lastest stable of the IDE, but at this point, I want to try getting my printer to run with the minimum amount of steps.  Based on  recent mindcraft experience of trying to get Mo creatures to run, I think it might be worth to installing Arduino IDE 0023 64 bit and seeing if this works:  Nope:

In file included from /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.5.3/../../../avr/include/util/delay.h:44:0,
from /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.5.3/../../../avr/include/avr/delay.h:37,
from /home/jonasthomas/Arduino0023/arduino-0023/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring_private.h:30,
from /home/jonasthomas/Arduino0023/arduino-0023/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/WInterrupts.c:34:
/usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.5.3/../../../avr/include/math.h:426:15: error: expected identifier or ‘(’ before ‘double’
/usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.5.3/../../../avr/include/math.h:426:15: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘>=’ token
Ok.. maybe there’s in issue from me hacking up the code to get it to run on 1.0 time to try this again deleting.  Nope Same error..

Googling I found this. http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?topic=79371.0

Hmm. sounds like there is a bug in wiring.h in this version…

jonasthomas@jonasthomas-Satellite-P305D:~$ sudo updatedb
[sudo] password for jonasthomas:
jonasthomas@jonasthomas-Satellite-P305D:~$ locate wiring.h
/home/jonasthomas/Arduino0023/arduino-0023/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.h
jonasthomas@jonasthomas-Satellite-P305D:~$
So I did the commenting out on the lineb79 and hot darn the thing compiled…

Cool… Now time to go down to the shop and see if I can get this thing to upload.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Building Arduino Sprinter from source

  1. Pingback: The metal shaper man’s blog » 1 step forwards 2 steps back on the 3d printer.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *