Ok… I just got done export porting my data from my old 1&1 blog and Imported into the wordpress log I just created. I developed a set of step by step instructions on how to do this. I’m a little bit tired at the moment so I don’t know if I forgot to save my draft or if my draft got deleted when I did the import. @#%$
First off here is a good set of procedures to setup your very own wordpress blog.
The procedure for exporting the 1&1 blog and importing into wordpress is actually pretty easy and straight forward.
- Go into the 1&1 dash board
- Select the Administration tag.
- Under website builder select 1&1 blog
- Click on ‘Launch”
- On the blog you wish to export click on the Launch button
- Save to your desktop on your computer.
The file which downloaded as wordpress.2008-07-05.xml contains the rest of instructions which I have reprinted below:
<?xml version=”1.0″ encoding=”UTF-8″?>
This is a WordPress eXtended RSS file generated by WordPress as an export of
your blog. It contains information about your blog’s posts, comments, and
categories. You may use this file to transfer that content from one site to
another. This file is not intended to serve as a complete backup of your
To import this information into a WordPress blog follow these steps:
1. Log into that blog as an administrator.
2. Go to Manage > Import in the blog’s admin.
3. Choose “WordPress” from the list of importers.
4. Upload this file using the form provided on that page.
5. You will first be asked to map the authors in this export file to users
on the blog. For each author, you may choose to map an existing user on
the blog or to create a new user.
6. WordPress will then import each of the posts, comments, and categories
contained in this file onto your blog.
All in all this was alot easier than my current studies in C++