This was sort of a fun project for me. I had this push mower that I had inadvertently busted the roller bracket on when I backed it up hard on my driveway
I had some stock with pre drilled holes in stock which I need to plan down in thickness but my width was perfect. I had a couple of false starts which you see in the picture as I was trying to get the tool group properly. Originally I had this my mill and it wasn’t fun. The material was hardened and I don’t have a power feed on my mill. Hand cranking was very tedius. The autofeed on the shaper was much nicer.
I’m actually doing a straight downward plunge in this picture. What I did was take a rough cut. Measure the width and than adjust the horizontal with the indicator.. It seemed to work pretty good.
In needed to replicate the boss than was in the original part So, I scribed the center lines and hit it with a optical center punch. In the picture I’m getting the punch mark zero’d out in my four jaw chuck.
You can see the machined boss in this picture. Here I’m center drilling it, in preparation for drilling and tapping
Here you can I’m tapping the part, using a tap holder I made in a shop class many many years ago.
I wound up using a shoulder bolt of the correct diameter, got some loc-tite and screwed it in. I than cut the head off and rounded what needed to be ground. Hopefully the loc-tite will hold, since I just realized looking at the picture that the stud could in theory unwind. As you can tell from the leaves on the mower its fall and I won’t be mowing the lawn till spring. 😉 Hmm…. The blades are sort of dull, I wonder if I could rig something up to sharpen them.